3 slices of lemon
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 kilo of pork, diced
1/4 kilo of pork liver, diced
2 large carrots, diced
2 large potatoes, diced
3 pcs garlic, crushed
1 medium sized onion, cut
4 pcs bay leaves (laurel)
1 table spoon black pepper
2 table spoons gourmet fish sauce (Barrio Fiesta)
2 cups Del Monte tomato sauce
2 table spoons cooking oil
1/2 cup water
2 pcs bell pepper, sliced into thin strips.
1/2 cup green peas
- Marinate the pork with the lemon extract and soy sauce for at least 30 minutes.
- Put some lemon extract on the liver, as well, to remove the “bloody” odor.
- Saute the pork for 5 minutes with onion, garlic, black pepper and bay leaves. I include the black pepper and bay leaves to release their unique taste.
- Pour the tomato sauce and 1/2 cup water and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Put the fish sauce and liver and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Put the vegetables and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
In cooking, timing is everything. You don’t want to undercook your pork or overcook your vegetables. Menudo is a popular dish in the Philippines and it’s commonly served during birthdays or fiestas. Happy eating!